Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Writing Reflection - Eight

Blackout poetry. You take a piece of newspaper, choose words that you like, and create a poem. Sounds easy, right?
Wrong.
I actually found it to be pretty difficult! Clearly this was something that didn't come naturally to me. I felt so limited when it came to choosing words and I found myself getting frustrated occasionally when I couldn't find words that fit. I love having the freedom to write whatever I want and I felt as though this assignment held me back a little bit. As I was putting together my poems I would always think of what could go next but the words or phrases in the articles didn't always make sense once put together.
I think the idea of blackout poetry is pretty neat.. If you're good at it, because if you're like me, you'll end up with a poem about Winnipeg flooding.
Compared to other things that we have done this semester such as, six word memoirs, doodling and listography, this exercise is probably my least favourite. It's not that I didn't like it at all, I just prefer the other things that we've done. I felt like the other ones gave me more space to make them exactly how I wanted them.
So what did I learn about myself as a writer? I'm not very good with poetry (well not this form of it). I'm sure with some practice I'd see improvement but I don't see myself investing too much time in blackout poetry after this. I'll leave it to the professionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment