Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Reading Reflection - Six

Book: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Pages Read: 1-19

After seeing the movie, I knew that I wanted to read The Hunger Games. When my dad came home with all three of the books from the trilogy, I wasn't sure what to do. I was in the middle of The Pilot's Wife, but sitting on my desk were these new books that I just had to read. So, with my lack of willpower, The Hunger Games have won me over and I have decided to postpone finishing The Pilot's Wife to a later date.

Because I saw the movie before reading the book, I already have lots of imagery going through my mind while reading and I love it! It gives the book a very real feeling that you may not get otherwise. If I hadn't seen the movie first, at this point I'd probably be assuming that there was something going on between Katniss (the protagonist) and her "friend" Gale. She describes him as quite the ladies man and says herself that he's good looking. If I were her, I wouldn't see a reason not to go for it! I guess when you're living through times with little food and only hours away from the "reaping" (where a boy and a girl, between the ages 12-18, from each District are sacrificed for a battle to the death) romance isn't exactly your top priority.
I've only read the first nineteen pages so far but I can already tell that I'm going to really enjoy it.
I'm curious to see how the book differentiates from the movie. There's always so many small pieces of books that films leave out. One very tiny thing that I've already come across is the cat that is described within the first few pages. I honestly don't remember if this is in the movie, but if it was it clearly wasn't something that they wanted you to focus on (otherwise I probably would have remembered). The way that Katniss describes the cat makes it seem so old, sick and ratty, and I feel as though the cat was a very good representation of the District that her and her family live in. I wish that they had included it, even just briefly, because the cat seemed to be almost symbolic in a weird way.
With that said, I can't wait to pick it up again and continue reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment