Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Reading Reflection - Seven

Book: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Pages Read: 19-61

The reaping. That pretty much sums up the past forty two pages.
When Katniss volunteered to be the girl tribute rather than her little sister, I wasn't surprised. No, I'm not saying that because I've seen the movie already. From the beginning of the book, it's made very clear that Prim is incredibly precious to Katniss. After all, she is her little sister and all Katniss wants is for her to have food and to give her as much as she can with the little that they have. From what I've learned about Katniss so far, I would have been shocked if she hadn't stepped in for her sister.
After Peeta Mellark is chosen as the boy tribute, the two are taken into "rich" rooms. Here, family members and friends can say goodbye to the sacrificed teenagers. At this point in the book I noticed differences from the movie. In the movie, Katniss is visited by Prim, her mother, and Gale. In the book, she's visited by those three along with Peeta's father (who occasionally supplies them with bread and while visiting her gives her a cookie) and her "friend" Madge. The biggest difference was the mocking-jay pin. In the movie, Katniss receives the pin from a lady working at the market, while in the book, Madge gives it her, asking for her to promise to wear it at the arena. Madge explained to Katniss how each tribute was able to wear one thing from their District that could act as a reminder of where they're from. I was honestly surprised that they changed that piece so much. The mocking-jay pin turns out to be very symbolic throughout the story so changing it like that was definitely not something that I had expected.
After the reaping the story moved on to the trip from District 12 to the Capitol. The way that the movie portrayed the train ride was very true to the book. Because I had the visual in my head already reading the book made that scene that much better! I love how Katniss describes the people of the Capitol for it was exactly how they were dressed up in the movie.
Overall, I'm really enjoying the book. I'm finding it to be one of those books where you lose track of time while reading. I'm really looking forward to finishing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment