Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Reading Reflection - Four

Book: The Pilot's Wife
Author: Anita Shreve
Pages Read:71-107

While reading more of this book, I've found myself becoming intrigued to learn more about Kathryn's daughter, Mattie. Recently, Mattie revealed some secrets to her mom that she was too scared to share in the past because she didn't want her dad finding out. After doing so, she was saying to her mom that  maybe her dad will come back. Kathryn responded to this by trying to comfort Mattie back to reality. During this part of the book, I was able to make a text to self connection. It was that moment of disbelief and hope that seemed familiar to me. It's hard to wrap your head around the fact that someone's gone for good and you try to block out the reality of it by thinking of all of the possibilities. You can only pretend for so long before you have no choice but to face the truth.
It seems as though Mattie is more than just the average teenager.  I think that it just might take a while for her character to develop. I've been able to make some connections with this character so far and because of this, watching her character evolve should be interesting for me.
After I read the sequence that revolved around Mattie, one question popped into my mind.. Is there more that Mattie is hiding from her mom? This question made me connect to my prediction of her dad. I know that he hid something from Kathryn and I wonder if Mattie is going to follow in his footsteps. After all.. Like father like daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment