Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Now What?

Now that I have this bucket list, what am I going to do with it?

May 26, 2012. Probably the best night of my life. Not only was it the night that I saw The Maine in concert, but the night that I met The Maine. That means that I have successfully crossed off number 11 and number 12 on my bucket list!
I've been waiting to see this band for over three years so I was definitely more than excited when I found out they were coming.
Of course, I bought my ticket as soon as they went on sale and all that was left was waiting. I was honestly counting down the days until the concert.
I had hopes of meeting the band but I didn't want to set myself up for disappointment. There were no guarantees and I knew that I couldn't just expect them to visit with their fans after every show. But, I knew that The Maine was headlining the American half of the show, not the Canadian half. Therefore, I knew that my chances were greater in meeting them. Just in case, I kept reminding myself that even if I didn't meet them, I got to see them perform live and that's all that really mattered.
The day of the show: I don't know how I stayed so calm. I didn't even experience those pre-show butterflies that get your adrenaline rushing.
When we arrived at the Garrick Theatre it felt surreal. I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that I was actually about to see my favourite band live. I looked to my right: the entrance to the floor and seats. I looked to my left: the merch stand. We went on the floor to check out the stage, then went to the merch stand so I could buy a shirt. I wasn't going to leave "The Maine" concert without a tour shirt! I bought it and we went back to the floor, ready for the concert to start.
A band named Lydia opened the show. The band had a very mellow yet upbeat sound. They were actually pretty good.. a little bit repetitive, but I'm not complaining. The entire time they were playing I just kept on thinking how The Maine was going to be on that stage next.
Lydia finished their set, the roadies started switching the instruments, and we moved as close to the stage as we could. We ended up right up front and with my luck I was standing right next to the speaker. Let's just say I had some trouble hearing those next few days.
When The Maine came out the crowd screamed. There they were.. right in front of me. I was blown away by how amazing they were live. Just when you think you can't like a band anymore you see them live and prove yourself wrong.
Being a graphic arts student, a couple months ago I had made a poster which had happened to be of The Maine. I decided that I'd bring it with me to the concert and get over a fear of putting myself out there by throwing it on stage. I was so nervous that it took me almost their entire set before I threw it. After it flew out of my hands, it landed perfectly beside their guitar player and he picked it up and put it off to the side then proceeded to take it off stage with him at the end of their set.
When they finished I couldn't stop smiling. They were amazing!
The Arkells were last to perform and they were also very good live. It was hard to sit still while they played because of all of the excitement running through my body and I was really hoping that I'd get to meet The Maine.
It was time for the encore and The Maine and Lydia joined The Arkells on stage to do a cover of the Beatles song "With A Little Help From My Friends." Once again, amazing.
After the show, we went around to the back of the theatre after seeing a group of people hanging around back there. That was when I met The Maine. All five of the members came out and I waited patiently for my turn to meet them. Being pretty much the last ones there it gave me the opportunity to have small conversations with each of the members. I brought up my poster with them and two of them had already seen it and said they really liked it and were impressed that I made it (I was only a little bit excited!). I then took pictures with each of them and received a couple of hugs (which made me even more excited). Through all of the excitement, I'm proud to say that I kept most of it inside and stayed very calm around the band! I was definitely not expecting that.

Since the concert I've been calling that day the "best day of my life." I got to meet and see my favourite band and I got to feel a sense of accomplishment for checking two things off of my bucket list. It was the best feeling in the world and I can't wait to find out what I'll be crossing off of my list next!

No comments:

Post a Comment